Search This Blog

Monday, September 20, 2010

Pileated Woodpecker and Flicker Fledgelings at a Feeder Next to Thornton Creek

Young Flicker Fledglings Excited About Suet
photo credit-Don MacCall


Wildlife sighting from Ruth Williams and Photos by Don MacCall
in Victory Heights neighborhood. Ruth is Vice President of Thornton Creek Alliance.


Pileated Woodpecker on deck feeder
photo credit - Don MacCall





I kept hearing batches of starlings chirping in the fruit trees in the
morning.  This seemed strange as the raccoons had cleaned out the fruit long
ago.  Then, a few days ago, I happened to see that the chirping was actually
fledging flickers on the deck.  I found two families of them squabbling over
the 
suet feeder.  There were about eight including a few adults (parents?).
I managed to get three in this picture.  They are extremely skittish and all
flew up at the slightest movement on my part.

Cheers!

Ruth

No comments:

Post a Comment